Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Note keeping is KEY!

Note keeping, in my experience, has been vital to my story and helping it progress while keeping track of the important details, both large and small.  With fiction, I would say that most of my story comes to me while I am away from the keyboard so it has been extremely helpful to keep detailed notes on what comes to mind so that I don't forget any of the details.  I have a section of notes on my phone and iPad and on my computer in many different Word documents.
You may find, like myself, that you don't end up using all of the notes that you take down during any given period of time but what I have found is that while I go over the notes that I have taken more ideas flood into my mind and help me to create, sometimes, an even better idea/story line that I like more.  Much of the notes that you do take may never be put onto paper or into your story but they will always affect what does get put down.
Look at it this way, notes are the refiners fire to a story...in a sense.  They can help you, as you read through them, smooth the edges of characters that you aren't fully sure of what their persona will be like, how their personality will come across, the reasons behind the many, many action of all of the different characters in your story, how the world will work...whether it will be more or less similar to other books of the same genre, and even your writing style.
Take careful notes when your story decides to give you small clips in your imagination; more often that not it will be for your story's betterment.

-The Fit Author

No comments:

Post a Comment